Please help us raise the necessary funds to pursue a Judicial Review against the Environment Agency
Following the decision of the Environment Agency to issue Covanta with an Environmental Permit – the Judicial Review process is now the only option open to us.
We know that a lot of residents have been active in promoting the campaign for the last couple of years. We hope that everyone will take the opportunity to pool resources and continue to support Bedfordshire Against Covanta Incinerator (BACI) in the continuing fight.
We have initiated the process by sending a Pre-Action Protocol Letter to the Environment Agency – See Post for more Details
Unfortunately – the process is not cheap. The continuation of this stage we have already begun- will take us up to the Permission and court fees section. We have been advised that this part of the case – taking into account work already completed and Crowdfunder fees etc – will need around £25,000 to complete.
The second stage is to prepare for the court appearance and then the appearance itself. Due to the timings involved – this stage will be addressed using a second Crowdfunder project – and it is estimated that if this stage is required – this could cost another £25,000.
It may not be necessary to take the case to the full court hearing stage. The Environment Agency can concede at any point up to the actual court hearing.
If there are any funds left over at any point of this Crowdfunder project or subsequent Crowdfunder projects for the purpose Judicial Review – this will be used either in the wider campaign (if this is still existing) or another local project.
More details and how to pledge can be found on our Crowd Funder page at https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/bedfordshireagainstcovantaincinerator/?
The Covanta Incinerator – Background
The Covanta Incinerator – Environmental Permitting Process
The Covanta Incinerator – Main Points
Concerns regarding Incineration as a process
Incineration, Recycling and the Circular Economy – Slides
Please still continue with the following- to keep up to date and inform others:
- Sign the ‘direct letter’ type petition to Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and the CEO Environment Agency (this is in addition to any other submission or petition) Click on image to sign and then share to others.
- Join the Facebook Group
- Show support by changing your facebook profile – Click Here to Learn How
- Follow BACI on twitter @BedsACI and use the hashtag #nocovantaincinerator on your own tweets
- Sign the on-line petition and spread the word to others to do so
- Keep up-to-date with new Posts by using the Follow Button at the bottom of the page
- Email us or use the contact form to sign up for regular email updates
- Download the Information Sheet and/or Poster to display and inform others